Excursions
When it rains, just set off.
The first destination is in the village: the Sperre Trin fortress. The postbus stops right at the site and takes you to Laax, Flims and Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland. Everything else — Viamala, Heididorf, toboggan run — is at most 40 minutes away by car.
When it rains
Festungsmuseum Sperre Trin
in the village, postbus to Trin Porclis
meeting point is the P6 car park by the Porclis works yard
Between the Ruinaulta and Porclis lie seven camouflaged bunkers and two caverns in the rock. They were built from 1941 to 1943 to block the way into the Grisons Oberland. Today the Sperre Trin association leads tours through them.
- The stop is called «Trin, Porclis». From there it's two minutes on foot to the large gravel car park P6, where the tours begin.
- For those coming by train: from Trin station, down in the Ruinaulta, it's about 30 minutes on foot up to Porclis.
- The caverns sit inside the rock outcrops Crap Sogn Barcazi and Crap Pign; the bunkers are disguised as water intakes, forest huts and rocks.
- Two tours to choose from: through the infantry works, or through the Laseaz bunker with the fortress mortar. Both last about three hours.
- Visits are by registration only.
- Season May to October. From ten people the fortress also opens on request.
- In winter there's «Fortress and Fondue»: a short round through two bunkers, followed by cheese fondue in the fortress tavern. From six people.
- It's about 10 degrees inside the mountain and the ground is uneven. Bring sturdy shoes and a warm jacket.
- Recommended from age 7. The site is not wheelchair-accessible — it involves stairs and ladders from the military era.
- Toilets are on site, and a small bite to eat and drink is available in the fortress tavern.
- The same association looks after the Sauerstofffabrik in Ilanz and leads tours there too.
Seven bunkers in the mountain, and nobody ever lived in them. I've got one hole — and I live in it.— the Murmeli
Straight there: Führungen · Sauerstofffabrik Ilanz
Information from: sperretrin.ch
Freestyle Academy Laaxfor families
postbus to Laax Murschetg, about 20 minutes
the hall stands in the rocksresort by the cable car valley station
Europe's first indoor freestyle hall: skating, trampoline and parkour under one roof. Children from age 6 can join in.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax Murschetg without changing. By car: A13 exit Reichenau, then towards Flims/Laax; an underground car park lies beneath Murschetg.
- The address is Via Murschetg 17, on the lower level of Haus M in the rocksresort.
- 2,000 square metres under one roof.
- Booking is through the LAAX ticket shop, the LAAX app, or at reception.
- For the little ones there's the KIDS Freestyle Academy in Flims, for ages 0 to 8, with slides, climbing and first jumps on the trampoline.
Trampolining. A secret: we marmots can do that naturally. We just don't want to.— the Murmeli
Straight there: freestyleacademy.com
Information from: flimslaax.com
Hallenbad Aua Grava, Laaxfor families
postbus to Laax, about 15 minutes
the pool belongs to the wellness hostel on the Laaxersee
A 25-metre pool, a slide and a children's pool, right on the Laaxersee. Once the rain stops, the swimming lake is right outside.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax without changing.
- The pool is open without an overnight stay too. External guests get in later than hostel guests.
- 850 square metres of sauna and wellness are included: saunas, a fire bath, herbal steam bath, experience showers, a sound room and a Kneipp basin, plus a relaxation room with a view.
- A fitness room belongs to the house, and aqua-fit classes run in the pool.
- Individual lanes may be occupied by outside swimming courses.
Information from: youthhostel.ch
Hallenbad Obere Au, Churfor families
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
on the Rhine at the foot of the Calanda, by the sports centre at Grossbruggerweg 6
The city's indoor pool, with the Aquamarin warm-water pool and a sauna in the same building.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing.
- Inside: a 25-metre pool, a diving tower with 1, 3 and 5-metre boards, a teaching pool, a children's paddling pool and an 85-metre slide.
- The pools sit at 28 to 30 degrees, the paddling pool at 32, and the Aquamarin at 31 to 35 depending on the season.
- The Aquamarin lies outdoors and is included in the entry fee, with massage jets and a whirlpool.
- The building also has a sports restaurant, fitness area, sauna and infrared cabin. The facility is accessible for people with disabilities.
- In high summer the indoor pool closes at 11.30 a.m. in fine weather. The outdoor pool next door is then open: 50 metres across eight lanes, slides and a multi-level paddling pool.
- Whether it closes is posted the same day at sportanlagenchur.ch.
Straight there: Freibad Obere Au
Information from: sportanlagenchur.ch
Chur on a rainy day
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
the postbus stops at the station, and the old town begins right behind it
The oldest city in Switzerland — inhabited for 5,000 years — with the largest old town in Grisons, an art museum, a natural history museum and the Rhaetian Museum. A cinema and a climbing hall lie right nearby. And for something special: the Giger Bar, designed entirely by Alien creator H. R. Giger.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin straight through to Chur — no connection to miss.
- Chur has been continuously settled for at least 5,000 years and has been a bishop's seat since 451 — which is why the city calls itself the oldest in Switzerland. The old town shows it: narrow lanes, towers, the cathedral above the Hof.
- By car: the Arcas car park on the edge of the old town, the Stadtbaumgarten car park a few minutes' walk from the station, the City car park in the centre. Park and Rail is available right at the station.
- All the museums lie in the same old town — you walk from one to the next, even in the rain.
Straight there: Kunstmuseum · Naturmuseum · Rätisches Museum · Kino · Kletterhalle · Giger Bar
Information from: Chur Tourismus
Rätisches Museum, Churfor families
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes · Tue to Sun · children under 16 free
Hofstrasse 26 in the old town, below the cathedral — on foot from the station
Grisons' cultural-history museum, housed in a Baroque palace from 1675. It shows what the canton preserves from prehistory, history and folklore: finds from excavations across Grisons, household goods, craft, daily life — from the Stone Age to today, in the middle of Switzerland's oldest city. Just right for a rainy day: dry, warm, and the old town right outside.
- Open Tuesday to Sunday, closed Mondays. Children and teenagers under 16 pay nothing.
- Children get a bunch of keys at the till: they can use it to open drawers and small cabinets in the house.
- Alongside the permanent exhibition, temporary exhibitions run too; what's currently on is shown on the museum's website.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur station without changing. From there it's on foot up through the old town, towards the cathedral.
- The art museum and the natural history museum lie a few streets further on — see «Chur on a rainy day».
Straight there: Bei der Stadt Chur
Information from: raetischesmuseum.gr.ch
Kirche St. Martin, Chur
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
at St. Martinsplatz in the old town, a few steps from the cathedral
Three windows by Augusto Giacometti have told the Christmas story since 1919. It was his first work in glass.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing; it's a few minutes on foot from the station into the old town.
- The address is St. Martinsplatz, right in the old town.
- The church was consecrated in 769, burned down in 1464, and stood rebuilt again by 1491.
- It is the largest late Gothic building in Grisons.
Information from: graubünden.ch
Kirche St. Martin, Zillis
car, about 40 minutes
via the A13, from the north exit 24 Zillis
153 painted panels from around 1110 hang from the church ceiling. It is the only nearly completely preserved Romanesque painted ceiling in the world.
- By car via the A13: from the north exit 24 Zillis, from the south exit 25 Andeer.
- Zillis is also reachable by postbus; the same stop serves the Viamala gorge, which lies a few minutes further down the valley.
- The church lies on the San Bernardino route. Those heading to the Viamala anyway can take in both in one afternoon.
- For inspection of the over 900-year-old ceiling, the church stays closed for a few weeks each year. The weeks are listed at zillis-st-martin.ch.
Information from: zillis-st-martin.ch
Tamina-Therme, Bad Ragaz
car, about 35 minutes
A13 exit Maienfeld, then towards Bad Ragaz
The large thermal spa in Bad Ragaz, open daily.
- By car: A13 exit Maienfeld, then follow the signs to Bad Ragaz.
- By train to Bad Ragaz; bus 456 runs from the station to the «Tamina Therme» stop. It's about ten minutes on foot.
- Children under 3 are not admitted. From age 3 they are welcome.
- 7,300 square metres of thermal water from the Tamina gorge, at 36.5 degrees.
Information from: taminatherme.ch
Mineralbad Andeer
car, about 35 minutes
via Reichenau onto the A13, from the north exit 24 Zillis
The village spa with 34-degree mineral water, calm indoors and with a large outdoor pool — plus the award-winning organic dairy right in the village.
- By car via the A13: from the north exit 24 Zillis towards Zillis/Andeer, from the south exit 25 Andeer. Parking is available right by the spa.
- Andeer is also reachable by postbus. The address is Veia Granda 4.
- Only adults are admitted to the spa until 11 a.m.
- The sauna is open from age 16. The sauna area includes a bio-sauna, a Finnish sauna and a steam bath.
- Outside there are bubble loungers, neck showers and a whirlpool; the pool looks out over the Schams valley.
- Massages and physiotherapy are available in the same building.
Straight there: Sennerei Andeer
Information from: mineralbad-andeer.ch
All further places for wet days (10)
Kathedrale Chur
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
Hof 18, above the old town, a few minutes from the station
Chur's cathedral, built between 1150 and 1272. In the choir stands the late Gothic high altar by Jakob Russ — the largest carved altar of Swiss late Gothic art. Romanesque figures from the 12th century sit on the column bases and capitals.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing; from the station it's on foot into the old town and up to the Hof.
- The cathedral stands at Hof 18, on the highest point of the Hof. By car, the best option is the Arcas car park on the edge of the old town.
- The altar was commissioned from Jakob Russ in 1486 and completed in 1492.
- Also present are a late Gothic sacrament house from 1484, the carved choir stalls, and Gothic frescoes attributed to the Waltensburg Master.
- A two-part crypt lies beneath the raised choir.
- The cathedral was fully restored from 2001 to 2007 and then reconsecrated.
- No visits are possible during services. A notice at the portal points this out.
- The cathedral treasury museum stands right next door in the Bishop's Palace.
Information from: Stadt Chur · Latest: Chur Tourismus
Domschatzmuseum Chur
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
in the Bishop's Palace in the Hof, next to the cathedral
The cathedral treasury, housed in one of the most important secular buildings in Grisons. It shows reliquaries and liturgical items from about 1,600 years of diocesan history, plus a 1543 cycle of memorial portraits unique in Switzerland.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing; the museum lies in the Hof next to the cathedral, a few minutes on foot from the station.
- The building is wheelchair-accessible. A cloakroom and toilets are included.
- The pieces span from the Middle Ages through the Baroque to the early modern period.
- The «City E-Guide» app leads through the collection. It is also suitable for guests with limited eyesight.
- A treasure hunt is ready for families: children search for a missing bishop figure, and whoever finds it gets a small reward.
- No registration is needed for an individual visit.
- Group tours and public tours run by registration through Chur Tourismus.
Information from: domschatzmuseum-chur.ch · Latest: Chur Tourismus
Kletterzentrum Ap'n Daun, Churfor families
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
Pulvermühlestrasse 8, by the Obere Au sports centre
Over 2,000 square metres of climbing surface: a main hall with a gallery, two boulder rooms, a practice wall and a balcony with a generous outdoor wall. A spray wall sits on the roof terrace. Adults, families, children and groups climb here side by side.
- Courses for beginners are offered indoors and outdoors, led by trained climbing instructors.
- Climbing shoes, harness, rope, belay device and chalk bag can be rented on site.
- You sign the user regulations before first use.
- The building is built to Minergie standard. A bistro and a shop are included, as are changing rooms and showers.
- Over 50 covered bike parking spaces stand in front of the building, plus about 25 nearby car parking spaces for a fee.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing.
- A separate information sheet on supervision and hall rules is available for children.
Information from: kletterzentrumchur.ch · Latest: Chur Tourismus
Eishalle Prau la Selva, Flimsfor families
postbus to Flims, about 10 minutes
Via Prau la Selva 6, on the edge of Flims Waldhaus
An ice rink with ice almost all year round: from about the end of June to the end of March. Besides public skating there's ice hockey and curling. Skates for adults and children can be rented on site.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Flims without changing; the facility stands at Via Prau la Selva 6.
- A reservation is needed for curling, by phone with the sports centre. An introduction is included.
- The sports centre also includes tennis, minigolf, a skate park, a playground, a shooting range and a fitness room.
- A restaurant and a public car park stand by the centre.
- The high ropes course lies on the same grounds.
Information from: sportzentrum-flims.ch · Latest: Flims Laax Falera
Cinema Sil Plaz, Ilanz
train from Trin Station to Ilanz, about 20 minutes
Via Centrala 2, right in the middle of Ilanz
Cinema, concerts, theatre and cabaret in the converted old smithy. Films run in the original version with German and French subtitles. A bar belongs to the venue.
- It's a few minutes on foot from Ilanz station. Parking is available by the building.
- Trin station does not lie in the village but down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis. RhB parking stands next to the station; it is unstaffed.
- The building is wheelchair-accessible.
- It is run by an association, supported by the municipality and the canton.
- Alongside the film programme, concerts, theatre and cabaret are on the schedule too.
Information from: cinemasilplaz.ch · Latest: Surselva Tourismus
Museum Laaxfor families
postbus to Laax, about 15 minutes
Via Principala 36, in the village centre of Laax
The village history of Laax, housed in the old dairy that processed the village's milk until 1969. It shows customs, daily life and children's games across two centuries, plus rotating exhibitions.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax without changing; the museum stands at Via Principala 36, with a stop and parking nearby.
- A café belongs to the house — you can sit down even if the rain outside won't stop.
- Run by the Pro Laax foundation, which also operates the CULARTA cultural venue.
- The house is open all year round.
- Registration is needed for individual events in the house.
Information from: museumlaax.ch · Latest: Flims Laax Falera
Das Gelbe Haus, Flims
postbus to Flims, about 10 minutes
Via Nova 60, in the middle of Flims Dorf
An old farmhouse that was rendered yellow before its conversion and stands white today — it kept the name. Valerio Olgiati rebuilt it down to the shell between 1997 and 1999 and won the Golden Hare award for the best Swiss architecture for it. It shows exhibitions on design, craft and architecture in the Alps.
- Rudolf Olgiati bequeathed part of his collection to the municipality of Flims on condition that the house be painted white from top to bottom.
- During the conversion the entrance was moved from the street to the eastern side façade, and the roof was redesigned.
- Exhibitions have run here for over 25 years; they change and are conceived specifically for the house.
- An audio guide leads through the rooms, which span several floors. A cloakroom is included.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Flims without changing; the house stands at Via Nova 60 in the village.
Information from: dasgelbehausflims.ch · Latest: Flims Laax Falera
CULARTA, Laax
postbus to Laax, about 15 minutes
in the village of Laax, not far from the Laaxersee
A cultural venue for both working and exhibiting: the exhibition room downstairs, the studios upstairs. Artists work here, and what emerges is shown in the same building. Sculptures also stand around the Laaxersee.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax without changing.
- A joint project of the municipality of Laax and the Pro Laax foundation.
- Alongside exhibitions, the venue hosts workshops, talks, courses, theatre, dance, film, literature and music.
- School classes and groups can carry out their own projects; sign up beforehand for that.
- The house is run by Yvonne Gienal, with a five-person programme committee.
Information from: cularta.ch · Latest: Flims Laax Falera
Jooshuus, Valendas
train from Trin Station to Valendas-Sagogn, about 20 minutes
in the village centre of Valendas, a few steps from the village square
A late-medieval stone building from the 14th century, in its present form since the early 16th century. In the adjoining barn from 1572, an exhibition shows how Valendas developed. The historian Lorenz Joos was born here in 1873.
- The unrendered masonry with hewn corner stones and irregular openings dates from the era of early fortified buildings.
- The house is considered a rare late-medieval witness of national significance.
- The heirs of the Joos family gave it to the Valendas Impuls association in 2010, which maintains it. Information and access run through the association.
- The house is station 12 of a fourteen-station village walk. Station 1 is the largest historic wooden fountain in Europe.
- Trin station does not lie in the village but down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis. RhB parking stands next to the station; it is unstaffed.
Information from: Verein Valendas Impuls · Latest: Surselva Tourismus
Museum Regiunal Surselva, Ilanz
train from Trin Station to Ilanz, about 20 minutes
Städtlistrasse 10, in the Casa Carniec in the old town of Ilanz
The valley's cultural-history museum, housed in the patrician house of the Schmid von Grüneck family with Renaissance paintings. The permanent exhibition «tipic Surselva» shows across several floors how people here lived and worked before industry.
- Craft, agriculture and household life shape the tour, along with the order of family and village community.
- The new permanent exhibition «tipic Surselva» opened in June 2026 and is designed to be largely inclusive and accessible.
- Alongside the permanent exhibition, temporary exhibitions run with their own events programme.
- A self-service café with garden seating belongs to the house.
- Tours and workshops for groups and school classes are possible at any time, even outside opening hours — by advance booking.
- It's a few minutes on foot from Ilanz station; parking is available by the house. Trin station lies down in the Ruinaulta, about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis.
Information from: museumregiunal.ch · Latest: Surselva Tourismus
Worth an excursion
Senda dil Dragun, Laaxfor families
postbus to Laax, about 15 minutes
the entrance is at Laax Murschetg
The longest treetop path in the world: a kilometre and a half through the canopy, with activity stations along the way — and a tower with a 73-metre spiral slide at the end.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax Murschetg without changing. By car via the A13, exit Reichenau; an underground car park lies beneath Murschetg.
- Allow one to one and a half hours for the whole path. Those just walking through need about 25 minutes.
- 1.56 kilometres long, with five activity stations and 38 panels on plants, animals and the Romansh language.
- Four seating spots and marble runs to play with stand along the way.
- The slide is open to those at least 6 years old. The zipline next to it measures 220 metres, and since 2024 there's also the Vertical Drop: a controlled 30-metre fall.
- A lift runs at both entrance towers. Pushchairs and wheelchairs are allowed on the path, dogs are not — except assistance dogs on a leash.
- Picnicking is not allowed on the path, nor are smoking and open fire.
- Open in summer and winter alike; also in bad weather, just not during thunderstorms, hail and ice.
- Tickets are available through the LAAX app or the online shop.
Straight there: laax.com
Information from: flimslaax.com
UNESCO World Heritage Sardona
postbus to Flims, then cable car and hike
about 75 minutes' easy walking from the Naraus mountain station
The Segnesboden above Flims lies right in the middle of the Tectonic Arena Sardona World Natural Heritage site. At the visitor pavilion, an exhibition shows how the Alps came to be — and the view opens onto the lower Segnesboden and the Tschingelhörner with the Martinsloch.
- Best reached from the Naraus mountain station, about a 75-minute easy hike.
- Those in a hurry can get there with the Graubergbahn or the Nagens shuttle.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Flims without changing; the cable car starts there.
- It's all about the main thrust fault — the line in the rock where older rock was pushed over younger rock.
Information from: unesco-sardona.ch
Sternwarte Mirasteilas, Falerafor families
postbus or car, about 25 minutes
at the edge of Falera, above Laax
One of the largest publicly accessible telescopes in Switzerland stands here: a 90-centimetre mirror diameter. Minor planets, comets and satellites are observed.
- The observatory supplies its measurements to NASA.
- In recognition of its work, minor planet number 233943 is named «Falera».
- There are evening tours, sun observations, full-moon tours and dedicated children's tours.
- Tours require registration, by phone or email.
- The meeting point is the car park in front of the entrance to Falera.
- The public tours are for adults and children from age 12.
- The children's tour is exclusively for ages 7 to 12 and lasts about two hours — a talk, a small snack and looks through the telescope. It runs in any weather, while moon and sun observations are cancelled in poor visibility.
- Toilets and seating are available on site.
- A planet trail with stations for all the planets and Pluto leads there from the village.
Information from: mirasteilas.ch
Parc la Mutta, Falera
car or postbus, about 20 minutes
above Laax, by the village of Falera
Over thirty menhirs from the Bronze Age, interpreted as a solar calendar — freely accessible, with the late Gothic church of St Remigius right next door.
- 36 menhirs over about 400 metres. It is the largest stone row in Switzerland.
- Erected in the Middle Bronze Age, about 3,500 years ago. The largest stone measures over two metres.
- The Sogn Remigi church next to it is over a thousand years old.
- The stone row stands in the open and is accessible at any time.
- Public and private tours by registration, by phone or email with the Parc la Mutta.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax; Falera lies above it.
Straight there: Kirche St. Remigius
Information from: parclamutta.falera.net
Sportzentrum Prau la Selva, Flimsfor families
postbus to Flims, about 10 minutes
Via Prau la Selva 6, on the edge of Flims Waldhaus
A high ropes course with several circuits at two to twelve metres, plus minigolf, tennis courts and a skate park on the same grounds — an afternoon for every age, without anyone needing to hike.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Flims without changing. A public car park stands by the centre.
- Minigolf: 18 outdoor holes, daily in the summer half of the year until dusk. You pay less with the guest card.
- Tennis: the outdoor courts belong to the sports centre and are reserved there, phone +41 81 920 91 91. For a quick game: the tennis court in Trin Mulin lies right along the way to us (see In the Village).
- The Bärliweg children's circuit is for ages 4 to 8 and children under 1.20 metres.
- The other circuits are open from age 7. 7 to 11-year-olds climb with an accompanying adult, 12 and 13-year-olds are supervised from the ground. From 14 you climb alone, with parental consent.
- Anyone under 14 arriving without an adult needs a park guide. Guides are in short supply during high season.
- Gym or hiking shoes with tread are mandatory; sandals and flip-flops are not allowed. Harness, gloves and helmet are provided by the park.
- No climbing experience is needed. Allow about four hours for the visit.
- A reservation is strongly recommended during holidays. Groups of 15 or more book in advance; the park also opens for them outside the usual hours.
- A restaurant and toilets are on the grounds.
- Season end of April to end of October, and only in suitable weather.
Straight there: Hochseilpark · Minigolf · Tennis · Skatepark
Information from: sportzentrum-flims.ch
Hubertus Bogenparkfor families
postbus to Laax, then cable car to Crap Sogn Gion
the first station stands at the mountain station
A 3D archery course on the mountain, with animal figures along the way. Equipment and an introductory course are included in the entry fee.
- You collect the equipment at LAAX Rental in the rocksresort at the Laax valley station; the cable car then takes you up to Crap Sogn Gion to the first station.
- Route 1: 24 stations from Crap Sogn Gion to Curnius, 2.5 to 4 hours — plus about three quarters of an hour for the descent.
- Route 2: 11 stations from Crap Sogn Gion to the Tegia Miez and back, 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
- Along the way you learn which wild animals live here and why hunting takes place in Grisons.
- Dedicated Bow Camps are available for children aged 7 to 14.
- Booking is through laax.com.
- Season June to October. The path is an ordinary hiking trail — hiking boots are enough.
Information from: flimslaax.com
rocksresort PARK, Laaxfor families
postbus to Laax Murschetg, about 20 minutes
between the stone cubes of the rocksresort, by the valley station
An open square for everyone, right at the valley station. On the Urban Surfwave, skateboards, scooters and BMX bikes ride over paved rollers.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Laax Murschetg without changing. An underground car park lies beneath the resort.
- The square is freely accessible; no one needs to register.
- Slacklines, stilts, pedalos and badminton rackets are ready for free use.
- You can play football, badminton or boccia on the lawn next to it.
- A playground and a try-out field for the Hubertus Bogenpark are included.
- Restaurants and shops of the rocksresort stand all around — in the rain, the Freestyle Academy is in the same block.
Information from: flimslaax.com
Rodelbahn Pradaschier, Churwaldenfor families
car, about 40 minutes
via Chur to Churwalden, Girabodawäg 16, car park at the valley station
Switzerland's longest toboggan run. A chairlift takes you to the start.
- 3 kilometres long, 31 bends, 480 metres of descent. You set the pace yourself with the brake.
- Riding alone from age 8 and 135 centimetres tall.
- From age 3, children ride on the same sled with an accompanying adult. If two children share a sled, the one at the back must be at least 12.
- Maximum weight per sled: 150 kilos.
- There's a restaurant, toilets and a playground at the valley station.
- In operation in both summer and winter.
Three thousand metres down the mountain, and the lift carries you back up. You humans are lazier than I am. Respect.— the Murmeli
Information from: pradaschier.ch
Zipline Pradaschier, Churwalden
car, about 40 minutes
Churwalden valley station, up on foot or by chairlift
1,739 metres down the valley on a steel cable, in just under two minutes. After a calm start, the line drops at a 29 percent gradient.
- Up to 110 km/h, descending over 470 metres.
- Flying alone from age 10 and 25 kilos.
- Children aged 3 to 9 fly in tandem with an adult.
- The maximum weight is 120 kilos including equipment.
- The flight is not possible during pregnancy or with certain health conditions.
- The valley station is Girabodawäg 16 in Churwalden — the same as for the toboggan run, with a restaurant, toilets and a playground.
- Tickets are available online.
Information from: pradaschier.ch
Viamala-Schlucht
car, about 35 minutes
A13 towards Thusis, from the north exit 23
359 steps lead down into Grisons' most famous gorge. The painted ceiling of Zillis lies just a few minutes further on.
- By car via the A13: from the north exit 23, from the south exit 25. By postbus to Zillis.
- Allow 30 to 45 minutes for the descent, the gorge and the way back — 359 steps down and the same back up. Not suitable for pushchairs or wheelchairs.
- The rock walls rise up to 300 metres.
- A visitor centre with a shop stands in the middle of the gorge: snacks, ice cream, drinks and Grisons specialities.
- The toilets lie opposite the centre and cost a small fee.
- The car park also takes coaches. Overnighting with a motorhome is not allowed there.
- Dogs may come on a leash, free of charge.
- Season end of March to early November; from November to March the gorge stays closed for safety reasons.
Information from: viamala.ch
Traversinersteg
car to Rongellen, then about 20 minutes on foot
reachable only on foot, on the viaSpluga long-distance trail
A hanging staircase across the Traversina gorge, spanning 56 metres. Built in 2005 after rockfall destroyed the 1996 predecessor.
- The bridge hangs 70 metres above the streambed; 22 metres of stairs lie between its two ends.
- External beams and horizontal railing boards soften the view down into the depths.
- A head for heights helps — the bridge sways, and that was part of the design considerations.
- It's reachable only on foot: about 20 minutes from Rongellen, about 2½ hours from Sils through the Viamala.
- Access is closed in winter for safety reasons.
Information from: graubünden.ch
Burg Hohen Rätien
car to Sils im Domleschg, then on foot uphill
on the rock plateau above the entrance to the Viamala
One of the oldest continuously used settlement sites in Switzerland, with over 4,000 years of history. On the plateau stand a church, towers and a late-antique baptistery.
- The baptismal font in the baptistery dates from the 5th century and survives.
- Traces of settlement go back to the Bronze and Iron Ages; a Roman station later stood here.
- The site is accessible all year round, for a fee.
- The complex includes the Hoch Rialt tower, a farm building, the south and north towers (Pfaffenturm), the Church of St John & Victor, and the baptistery.
- The Church of St John & Victor and the Hoch Rialt building are open only in the warm season.
- Tours are available by registration, through the von Jecklin foundation.
- By car: A13 exit 22 Thusis Süd, then towards Thusis/Sils i.D.
- The castle lies on the Burgenweg Domleschg, which begins at Thusis station.
Information from: hohenraetien.ch
Heididorf, Maienfeldfor families
car, about 35 minutes
A13 exit 13 Maienfeld, then follow the brown «Heididorf» signs
The original Heidi house and Switzerland's smallest post office.
- By car: A13 exit 13 Maienfeld, then follow the brown «Heididorf» signs. Parking is at the Hotel Restaurant Heidihof; for the navigation system: Bovelweg 16, Maienfeld.
- By train to Maienfeld, then about 40 minutes up on the marked Heidiweg.
- The Heidi bus from the station only runs on weekends and public holidays. Otherwise take the postbus towards Jenins to the Rathaus stop, about four minutes back along the main road to the large guest car park, and from there half an hour on foot.
- A restaurant, a shop, toilets, a playground and animals belong to the village. It's reachable with a pushchair.
- Tours for groups can be booked.
- The whole Heidiweg as a loop measures 6.5 kilometres and takes about an hour and a half.
- Last entry is at 3.45 p.m.
- Season mid-March to early November. In winter the village opens only on selected days.
Information from: heididorf.ch
Valendas and Ilanz
train from Trin Station or postbus, 20 to 40 minutes
train from Trin Station to Valendas-Sagogn, then on to Ilanz
The largest historic wooden fountain in Europe stands in the middle of the village square in Valendas. Upriver follows Ilanz, the first town on the Rhine.
- Trin station does not lie in the village but down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis. RhB parking stands next to the station; it is unstaffed.
- The fountain was built in 1760; its basin measures 8 by 5 metres and holds over 15,000 litres, crowned by a wooden water nymph in a Florentine hat. It is renewed about every thirty years using larch wood from the municipal forest.
- The fountain is station 1 of a fourteen-station village walk.
- UN Tourism named Valendas a «Best Tourism Village» in 2025.
- In the old barn of the Jooshuus, station 12, a village exhibition shows the place's history.
Straight there: Valendas · Ilanz
Information from: surselva.info
All further excursion destinations (17)
Kapelle Sogn Gieri, Rhäzüns
car or train via Reichenau, about 20 minutes, then on foot
on a wooded hill above the Hinterrhein, about 20 minutes on foot from the village
A small hall church, fully painted throughout — a rarity north of the Alps. The frescoes are by two hands: the Waltensburg Master and the so-called Rhäzüns Master. On the north wall, St George fights the dragon.
- The Waltensburg Master painted around 1330 to 1350, the Rhäzüns Master in the second half of the 14th century.
- The pictures tell scenes from the Old and New Testaments — a bible for those who could not read.
- Below the dragon fight, the Rhäzüns Master shows George's leap across the Rhine Gorge.
- The church is open during the day; the door closes by itself in the evening.
- The path up is marked and takes about 20 minutes. By car via the Quadra field road, only those who obtain a day permit from the Rhäzüns municipal office may drive up — it's valid for one trip up, with the return within three days.
- Two old bells hang in the tower, the older one from about 1350 with angel reliefs.
Information from: Kirchgemeinde Rhäzüns · Latest: graubünden.ch
Kirche Sogn Gion, Domat/Ems
car or train via Reichenau, about 20 minutes
high up on one of the Tumas, the landslide hills of Domat/Ems
A church on one of the striking hills above the village, visible from afar. The tower dates from the mid-15th century, the choir from 1504, the nave from 1515. From up top the view stretches far into the Rhine valley.
- The first consecration is attested around 1200.
- The west porch was added in 1703, the Lady Chapel to the east in 1782.
- The church is accessible during the day from early April to the end of October.
- It was comprehensively restored from 2021 to 2023 and reconsecrated in September 2023.
- An inclined lift takes you up to the church — you don't have to climb the Tuma on foot.
- An art guide covers the high altar, side altars, pulpit, figures, ossuary and Lady Chapel.
- The building is protected as a monument of national significance under federal law.
- Domat/Ems lies on the railway line and on postbus line 81 towards Chur.
Information from: baselgia-sogngion.ch · Latest: graubünden.ch
Schloss Reichenau
train from Trin Station to Reichenau-Tamins, about 10 minutes
at the confluence of the Vorderrhein and Hinterrhein, right by the station
The castle stands where the Vorderrhein and Hinterrhein become the Alpine Rhine. It has been in the care of the von Tscharner family for seven generations, who run a winery here. Tours with tasting are possible.
- The address is Reichenauerstrasse 59; parking is available at the estate.
- The estate includes the wine cellar, a park, a chapel and a shop. Asparagus is also grown here.
- Registration is needed for tours and tastings.
- The rooms are also rented out for weddings, celebrations and seminars.
- Reichenau-Tamins station lies right next door. Trin station, by contrast, lies down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis, with RhB parking next to it.
Information from: reichenau.ch · Latest: graubünden.ch
Rhäzünser Rheinauen
train from Trin Station to Reichenau, about 10 minutes
on the Hinterrhein between Rothenbrunnen and Reichenau, along the river
Over about four kilometres, the Hinterrhein is still free to find its own bed here. It is one of the most intact floodplain landscapes in Switzerland. In 2012, beavers were confirmed here again after two hundred years.
- 157 hectares in size, listed since 1992 in the federal inventory of floodplains of national significance and in the BLN.
- About 1,500 plant species grow here, along with nine fish species, six amphibians, five reptiles and up to 80 bird species.
- Four habitats lie side by side: open river course, gravel banks with pioneer plants, softwood floodplain forest of alder and willow, hardwood floodplain forest of maple, ash and elm.
- The A13 passes beneath the area in the 2.4-kilometre Isla Bella tunnel, built in 1983.
- A protected area. Stay on the paths.
- A station lies at each end of the area: Reichenau-Tamins and Rothenbrunnen.
- Trin station lies down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis. RhB parking stands next to the station; it is unstaffed.
Information from: Gemeinde Rhäzüns · Latest: graubünden.ch
Brambrüesch, Churfor families
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes, then the cable car from the city
valley station on the Stadthalle grounds in the middle of Chur
From the city to 1,600 metres in twelve minutes: the cable car starts right in the middle of Chur. Up top lie hiking paths with panoramic views, a bike park, a cross-golf course and a moor nature trail.
- The scooter descent runs 5 kilometres on a wide natural track to the Känzeli mid-station. Children ride alone from about age 10, younger ones with their parents.
- The nine-hole cross-golf course is Switzerland's first official one. It runs between the mountain station and the mountain tavern.
- The moor nature trail runs on wooden boardwalks through a newly created fen, with panels on the habitat.
- Several mountain taverns operate up top, plus a playground and toilets.
- You change at the Känzeli mid-station along the way. Bikes and scooters travel in the cable car.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing; the city bus takes you from the station to the valley station.
- Parking on the Stadthalle grounds is limited.
Information from: churbergbahnen.ch · Latest: Chur Tourismus
Globi-Wanderweg, Lenzerheidefor families
car, about 50 minutes
Val Sporz valley station, by chairlift up to Tgantieni
A loop trail high above the Heidsee with thirteen stations where Globi explains nature and technology. It covers solar energy, the work of a mountain farmer, a snowflake factory, and how long litter takes to break down. At the Globi Huus along the way, children can leave him a message.
- 6 kilometres, 180 metres of ascent, about 2½ hours of pure walking time.
- The loop runs from the Acla Grischuna mountain restaurant along the panoramic path to Sissi and back via the Globi Huus and the Valos reservoir.
- The section from Acla Grischuna via the reservoir to Pedra Grossa is manageable with an off-road pushchair. It's more comfortable with a child carrier.
- The Acla Grischuna mountain restaurant lies along the way for a meal stop — the loop begins and ends there.
- The way up is by chairlift from the Val Sporz valley station to Tgantieni.
- It was the very first Globi hiking trail.
Information from: Ferienregion Lenzerheide
Fürstenau
car, about 30 minutes
via the A13 into the Domleschg, between Rothenbrunnen and Thusis
About 350 people live here, and only a handful of them in the old town. Fürstenau has held town rights since 1354, when King Charles IV granted the Bishop of Chur, Ulrich, the right to his own jurisdiction and two annual fairs. Ever since, the town has called itself the smallest city in the world.
- The charter is dated 13 May 1354. The fairs fell on St Michael's Day and St George's Day.
- The old town can be walked through in a few minutes.
- Andreas Caminada cooks at Schloss Schauenstein on the edge of town.
- Fürstenau lies on the Burgenweg Domleschg, between the Albulasteg and Planezzas.
- By car: A13 exit 22 Thusis Süd, then into the Domleschg. The villages in the Domleschg are reachable by postbus; the nearest stations are Rodels-Realta and Rothenbrunnen.
Information from: Stadt Fürstenau · Latest: Viamala Tourismus
Rofflaschlucht
car, about 55 minutes, between Andeer and Splügen
on the old Splügen road, parking at the house
A hand-hewn rock passage leads behind the waterfall and under the Rhine. It was built by the then innkeeper Christian Pitschen-Melchior between 1907 and 1914, over seven winters.
- Allow about half an hour for the gorge and the house museum; those taking their time stay over an hour.
- Season May to October, limited in April. Closed from November to March.
- A restaurant and a hotel belong to the house, run by the family. The restaurant is first come, first served; groups can reserve.
- Payment is cash, in francs or euros.
- The house museum tells how the gallery came to be.
Information from: rofflaschlucht.ch · Latest: Viamala Tourismus
Naturpark Beverinfor families
car or postbus into the neighbouring valley, 40 to 60 minutes
nine park municipalities between Safiental, Schams, Rheinwald and Heinzenberg
A 515-square-kilometre regional nature park with about 3,600 residents. Its emblem animal is the ibex: about 350 animals live on the steep, grassy rock slopes of the Safien-Rheinwald colony. In Wergenstein an exhibition explains how it returned here.
- The park includes Andeer, Ferrera, Muntogna da Schons, Rheinwald, Rongellen, Safiental, Sufers, Tschappina and Zillis-Reischen.
- The Capricorn exhibition is in the Hotel Restaurant Capricorns at Veia Cantunala 51 in Wergenstein, at 1,489 metres — right behind the hotel's reception. A restaurant belongs to it.
- It begins with a walk-in relief model of the park, followed by taxidermy specimens and replicas.
- High above Wergenstein in the Alperschälli stand two wildlife observation points with binoculars and information panels.
- The colony lives in the park's federal game reserve.
- The ibex has been native here again for about sixty years.
Straight there: Capricorn-Ausstellung
Information from: naturpark-beverin.ch · Latest: Viamala Tourismus
Sauerstofffabrik, Ilanz
train from Trin Station to Ilanz, about 20 minutes
tours organised by the Sperre Trin association
A military air separation plant, built in 1967/68. From 1969 to 2005 it produced high-purity oxygen and nitrogen for the army's medical service, mainly for the Disentis military hospital. The aim was to make the army independent of suppliers.
- The compressor works in three stages and manages 673 cubic metres an hour.
- The expansion machine runs at minus 140 degrees; two molecular sieves hold 400 litres each.
- The generator delivers 400 hp across six cylinders.
- The same association that also looks after the Sperre Trin fortress leads tours through the plant.
- Visits are by registration only — just showing up and knocking is not enough.
- Trin station does not lie in the village but down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis. RhB parking stands next to the station; it is unstaffed.
Straight there: Verein Sperre Trin
Information from: sauerstoff-fabrik.ch · Latest: Surselva Tourismus
Burgenweg Domleschg
train to Thusis or Rothenbrunnen, about 30 minutes
Thusis station or Rothenbrunnen station — the route can be walked in either direction
16 kilometres through the Domleschg's cultural landscape, past castles, ruins and manor houses. Between tall standard fruit trees, hedges and dry stone walls lie fifteen stations described by a mini guide. The path leads through the cultural landscape, pointing out the individual ruins, castles and fortifications along the way.
- 16.1 kilometres, about 4½ hours, 325 metres up and 403 down. Moderately difficult.
- Some of the buildings are privately owned and inaccessible: Schloss Baldenstein, Burg Ehrenfels, Schloss Schauenstein, Schloss Rietberg, Schloss Sins, Schloss Ortenstein and Burg Innerjuvalt can only be seen from the path.
- Accessible among others are the Obertagstein castle, Hohen Rätien above Sils, the Campi ruin and the Hasensprung ruin near Rodels.
- About 58 percent runs on road, the rest on natural track and path.
- The path begins at Thusis station and ends at Rothenbrunnen station — so there's no need to walk back.
- The route can be walked in stages. Stations lie at Thusis, Cazis, Rodels-Realta and Rothenbrunnen, and the postbus runs there too.
- By car: A13 exit 22 Thusis Süd towards Thusis/Sils i.D.; the Marktwiese car park is recommended.
- For a meal along the way: Gasthaus Post, Gasthaus Waldheim, Casa Caminada and Restaurant Triangel.
- The Canovasee lies along the path.
Information from: Viamala Tourismus · Latest: Viamala Tourismus
Kloster Disentisfor families
train or car, about 50 minutes
Via Claustra 1, above the village of Disentis/Mustér
A Benedictine abbey with about 1,400 years of history, still home to monks today. The monastery museum shows art, history and a natural history collection with many animals. The monks themselves lead tours through the house.
- The natural history collection makes the museum interesting for children too.
- The monastery includes a school with boarding facilities, a bakery, a shop and a guesthouse.
- Monastery tours are led by monks from the house.
- The address is Via Claustra 1, above the village.
- Disentis/Mustér lies at the end of the same railway line as Trin: Reichenau-Tamins–Disentis/Mustér. Trin station itself lies down in the Ruinaulta, about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis.
Information from: kloster-disentis.ch · Latest: graubünden.ch
Art Safiental
train to Versam-Safien, then postbus into the Safiental
office on the main road in Versam
Art in dialogue with a mountain region. For years the whole thing ran as a land art biennial with works out in the landscape. Since the Art Safiental association took over in January 2025, longer-term projects are emerging with the valley and with young artists from the region.
- The board includes valley residents, art professionals, regional developers and people from the non-profit sector.
- Over the coming year and a half, the new formats will be developed together with the valley's population.
- The office shares the building on the main road in Versam with the Naturpark Beverin.
- Versam-Safien lies on the same railway line as Trin. Trin station lies down in the Ruinaulta — about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis, with RhB parking next to it.
- The postbus runs up into the Safiental from Versam-Safien station.
Information from: artsafiental.ch · Latest: Naturpark Beverin
Sennerei Andeer
car, about 35 minutes
in the middle of the village of Andeer, a few steps from the mineral spa
A village dairy run by Maria Meyer and Martin Bienerth since 2001. They process about 400,000 litres of silage-free organic milk a year, from five farms in the valley. Their «Andeerer Traum» was named the world's best washed-rind hard cheese at the 2010 World Championship in Madison.
- Alongside the Traum there's Gourmet, Rustico, Granit, Höhlenkäse and Birke — different rinds and ageing.
- Several varieties have won national and international awards.
- Sold at the dairy's shop in the village; the address is Stizun da Latg, 7440 Andeer.
- The two made cheese for years on Grisons alps before Andeer's organic farmers brought them into the village.
- By car via the A13: from the north exit 24 Zillis towards Zillis/Andeer, from the south exit 25 Andeer. Andeer is also reachable by postbus.
- The Mineralbad Andeer lies in the same village, a few steps away — a spa and cheese in one afternoon.
Straight there: Mineralbad Andeer
Information from: sennerei-andeer.ch · Latest: Viamala Tourismus
Solarskilift Tennafor families
train to Versam-Safien, then postbus into the Safiental
the «Tenna, Solarskilift» stop
The world's first solar ski lift, in operation since 17 December 2011. Above the 450-metre drag lift, 82 movable solar wings hang from a simple cable structure and turn to follow the sun. It produces many times what it needs itself.
- About 90,000 kilowatt-hours a year stand against the 5,000 to 10,000 the lift itself consumes. The surplus goes to the Tenna power utility.
- Because the modules follow the sun and sit at a 30-degree tilt, they deliver about 21 percent more electricity than a fixed installation on a roof.
- The lift climbs 135 metres and carries 800 people an hour.
- Each wing consists of three solar modules.
- It is run by the Skilift Tenna cooperative. It was built because the operating licence of its forty-year-old predecessor was expiring.
- It only operates in winter with enough snow. The slope suits children learning to ski well.
- Parents can ride along or wait at the slope tavern next door, which is also open on select summer days.
- Ski and snowboard lessons are available on site.
- The stop is called «Tenna, Solarskilift». The postbus runs up into the Safiental from Versam-Safien station; Trin station lies down in the Ruinaulta, about 30 minutes on foot down from Trin Porclis.
Information from: solar-skilift.ch · Latest: Naturpark Beverin
Chur weekly market
postbus to Chur, about 25 minutes
Obere and Untere Gasse in the old town, a few minutes on foot from the station
The city's Saturday market: about thirty Grisons producers set up their stalls in the old town lanes. There's seasonal vegetables, cheese, bread, Bündnerfleisch and salsiz, honey, herbs, berries and flowers. The market runs from early May to the end of October.
- Postbus line 81 runs from Trin Mulin to Chur without changing; it's a few minutes on foot from the station into the lanes.
- By car: the Arcas car park on the edge of the old town, the Stadtbaumgarten car park a few minutes' walk from the station, or the City car park in the centre.
- The market is held in the Obere and Untere Gasse, right in the middle of the old town.
- It is run by the Churer Wochenmarkt association.
- Many stalls farm organically or sell only what they produce themselves.
- The museums, the cathedral and the Freibad Sand lie in the same old town.
Information from: churer-wochenmarkt.ch · Latest: Chur Tourismus
Pizol 5-Seen-Wanderung
car, about 40 minutes to Bad Ragaz or Wangs
by train and chairlift from Bad Ragaz or Wangs up onto the Pizol
A high-alpine loop past five mountain lakes: Wangsersee, Wildsee, Schottensee, Schwarzsee and Baschalvasee. Three climbs and three descents lie in between. Allow a full day.
- 11.4 kilometres, about 4½ hours, 553 metres up and 911 down.
- The way up is by train and chairlift from Wangs or from Bad Ragaz. A hiking bus connects the two valley stations — so you can go up at one and down at the other.
- By car: A13 exit Maienfeld, then towards Bad Ragaz.
- The loop is expected to be walkable from early July, once the snow is gone.
- Hiking boots with good tread are needed; no easy path leads over the scree and rock.
- The Alte Alp Gaffia mountain restaurant at 1,861 metres lies along the way and is open only in summer.
- The area is a game reserve. Camping and bivouacking are strictly forbidden.
- Check the mountain conditions report before setting out.
Information from: pizol.com · Latest: Heidiland Tourismus
More of this: Hiking · Cycling · Swimming and river · In the village · Food and shopping
Whether there's space after your excursion, see Is there space?